Here’s How to Make a Healthy Sandwich for This National Sandwich Day
Make National Sandwich Day a feast for your taste buds and a win for your wellness with our simple and health-smart sandwich creation guide and Diets 2 Go's healthy meal prep services.
National Sandwich Day is finally here! Why not celebrate it with a healthy twist? It's a day for you, the health enthusiasts and the curious foodies alike, to celebrate the quick and easy meal we all know and love.
But how exactly do we do that? Well, by turning each delicious bite into a powerhouse of nutrition.
So, whether you're looking to fuel your fitness journey or enjoy a guilt-free treat, in this post, we will talk about how you can stack fresh, wholesome ingredients into something truly healthy and satisfying.
Let's start, shall we?
Bread or Wrap? Start by Choosing a Healthy Base
Bread or wrap? Well, both are good options, but the right type that vibes with you can turn your meal from a guilty pleasure into a healthful delight.
If you're into wellness, whole-grain breads are a great nutrient resource. They're packed with fibre that aids you in digestion and keeps you feeling full longer.
Don't be fooled by "multigrain" or "wheat" breads that lack the word "whole" though — they might not offer the same benefits as actual healthy breads. Instead, look for labels that list whole grains as the first ingredient.
Or, if you prefer a less traditional sandwich, wraps are an excellent alternative. They come in whole grain options as well and offer a lighter bite without sacrificing nutrition or taste.
Plus, if you're sensitive to gluten or opting for a gluten-free lifestyle, there are plenty of options that don't skimp on taste or texture. From almond flour breads to those made from oats or coconut, these provide a good mix of proteins and fibres — all gluten-free. The same goes for wraps, with choices ranging from corn to cassava flour.
Bread or wraps, know that with all of these options at your hand, everyone can enjoy a healthy sandwich.
Protein Choice Matters
Protein is crucial for muscle repair and long-lasting energy — and also for making your sandwich yummy.
Lean meats like turkey, chicken breast, and tuna offer high-quality protein with minimal saturated fats. These are perfect if you're keeping an eye on your heart health.
For the plant-based diet followers, these should be your go-to options: chickpeas, tempeh, and black bean patties — rich in protein and fibre!
When assembling your sandwich, aim for a palm-sized portion of protein to ensure balance without overindulgence. This way, you'll keep your sandwich lean and nutritionally complete.
Use Sandwich Toppings for Colour and Crunch
Toppings are not just extras. Use them to infuse colour, crunch, and a nutritional punch.
Layer on the vitamin and mineral-enriched lettuce, spinach, or arugula for a leafy green boost. Slices of tomato, cucumber, and red onion add a juicy, fresh crunch, as well as giving you a variety of nutrients and hydrating properties.
Oh and don't shy away from grated carrots or beetroot for a sweet, earthy note and a great fibre boost. Avocado, with its creamy texture and heart-healthy fats, can be a flavourful stand-in for cheese or mayo.
Just remember: the more colourful your sandwich, the broader the spectrum of vitamins and antioxidants you'll bite into.
Use Healthy Sandwich Spreads for Flavour Without the Fat
Spreads can make or break the health quotient of your sandwich. They add moisture and flavour, so choose the ones that pack a nutritional punch — without the excess fat and calories.
Swap out the high-calorie spreads for equally tasty but much healthier alternatives.
- Avocado, mashed with a pinch of salt, lime, and pepper, makes for a creamy spread that's full of beneficial monounsaturated fats.
- Hummus, a blend of chickpeas, tahini, garlic, and lemon juice, offers a protein-rich option that's both flavourful and heart-friendly.
- For a sweet twist, a light smear of honey with a sprinkle of cinnamon can satisfy that craving without the fat.
- If you're in the mood for something tangy, mix Greek yoghurt with herbs like dill or chives for a fresh, low-fat spread.
These simple swaps cut down fat and elevate the taste and nutritional profile of your sandwich.
How to Assemble Your Perfect Healthy Sandwich
Assembling the perfect sandwich is an art in itself. Do it wrong, and it’ll fall apart before you even take a bite. Do it right, and it’ll look and taste like the artful masterpiece it should be!
Here's how to go about it:
- Begin with a hearty base of whole-grain bread.
- Toast lightly to enhance crunch and durability.
- Apply a healthy fat like avocado or hummus on the bottom slice as a moisture barrier.
- Add a layer of lean proteins such as turkey, chicken, or a plant-based alternative, covering evenly.
- Stack on vibrant veggies like lettuce, tomato, and cucumber for crunch and nutrition.
- Consider a slice of low-fat cheese for added calcium and flavour, if desired.
- Cap with the top slice of bread optionally touched with mustard or balsamic glaze for extra zest.
Press down gently, slice diagonally, and behold — the perfect sandwich that's as nutritious as it is delicious.
Diets2Go-Inspired Recipes for National Sandwich Day
Dive into these Diets2Go-inspired healthy sandwich recipes for National Sandwich Day that promise to bring health and flavour!
Lean Jerk Chicken Lettuce Wrap
- Use large lettuce leaves as a low-calorie, gluten-free wrap alternative.
- Fill with grilled jerk chicken breast, ensuring it's skinless to reduce fat. You can also use our jerk chicken in case you have some leftovers for extra flavour!
- Add a small spoonful of brown rice for fibre, or omit rice for lower calories.
- Include a tangy slaw made with vinegar and olive oil instead of creamy dressings.
- Spice it up with a sprinkle of jerk seasoning for an extra flavour kick without added calories.
Beef and Mushroom Open-Faced Sandwich
- Opt for one slice of high-fibre, low-calorie whole-grain or seeded bread.
- Layer a portion of Diets2Go's Teriyaki Pulled Beef, or steak mince that you have, and a light sour cream or Greek yoghurt-based sauce.
- Top it off with sautéed mushrooms for umami flavour and an extra serving of protein.
- Garnish with fresh arugula or spinach for a nutrient-dense, flavourful green.
Looking for Healthy Meal Prep Services on this National Sandwich Day?
Enjoying this special day doesn't have to mean hours in the kitchen. With Diets2Go's healthy meal prep services, you can eat well without the hassle of cooking. Just pick up a loaf of fresh, whole-grain bread and make your own masterpiece using one of our meals! We make everything with the freshest and healthiest ingredients so you can enjoy the perfect balance of flavour and nutrition without feeling guilty or spending hours in the kitchen.
So, whether you're craving a hearty beef sandwich or a light and zesty chicken wrap, our menu has something to satisfy your taste buds while keeping your health in check. Just remember to pick up the bread!
Contact us now before this special day ends!