Healthy Eating Resolutions: Starting 2024 Right
Learn how to create a realistic and sustainable meal plan for healthy eating and start 2024 right with Diets2Go.
Making healthy eating resolutions for the new year is a good way to start fresh and stay on track.
But we know that healthy eating can be challenging — especially when you have busy schedules, tight budgets, or tempting cravings.
So, in this blog, we’ll share how to create sustainable eating habits and make health-conscious choices for the new year.
So, let’s get started, shall we?
How to Create Sustainable Eating Habits for the New Year
Sustainable eating habits are good for your health and the environment. They are based on choosing whole foods that are nutritious, delicious, and satisfying.
Follow these healthy eating plans to create sustainable eating habits that do the work for you.
Don’t try to change everything at once. Instead, focus on one or two changes at a time and gradually build on them.
For example, start by adding more fruits and vegetables to your meals and replacing soda with water. Once you feel comfortable with these changes, you can move on to other ones, such as reducing your intake of processed foods or eating more whole grains.
Planning your meals and snacks in advance can help you avoid impulse eating, save money, and reduce food waste. You can use a meal planner app, a calendar, or a notebook to plan your weekly menu and make a shopping list based on it. Or you can subscribe to our weekly meal plan and get delicious and nutritious meals delivered to your door.
Cooking your own food is a great way to eat healthy. You can control what you eat and how much by choosing nutritious ingredients and portions. You can also make your food more delicious and diverse by trying different recipes, spices, and flavours.
Eating mindfully means paying attention to your food, your body, and your emotions while you eat. To eat a healthy meal, you can try the following tips.
Eat slowly and chew well to savour the taste and texture of your food.
Put down your fork or spoon between bites to give yourself time to taste the flavours and register your fullness.
Turn off your TV, phone, or computer, and avoid distractions to focus on your food and feelings.
Listen to your hunger and satiety cues, and stop eating when you are comfortably full — not stuffed.
How to Make Health-Conscious Choices for the New Year
Health-conscious choices are essential for your goals and well-being. They involve eating foods rich in nutrients, fibre, protein, and healthy fats and low in calories, sugar, salt, and saturated fats.
Here are some healthy eating tips that work best.
Labels on packaged foods can help you learn how to eat healthy food every day. Check the information on the labels before eating foods.
- Serving size and servings per container to control your portions and calories.
- Calories to balance your energy in and out.
- Nutrients to get enough of the good ones. And less of the bad ones. Look for foods high in fibre, protein, calcium, iron, and vitamins and low in sugar, salt, and saturated fats.
- Ingredients to avoid allergens, additives, or preservatives that may harm you.
Always pick foods closest to their natural state that have undergone minimal processing, refining, or modification. You can use the following guidelines to help you choose wisely.
- Choose whole foods over processed foods, such as fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, nuts, seeds, and legumes, over canned, frozen, or packaged ones.
- Choose lean protein sources over fatty ones, such as chicken, turkey, fish, eggs, or tofu, over red meat, bacon, or sausage.
- Choose healthy fats over unhealthy ones, such as olive oil, avocado, or nuts, over butter, margarine, or lard.
- Choose natural sweeteners over artificial ones, such as honey, maple syrup, or dates, over sugar, corn syrup, or aspartame.
Moderation is Key
Moderation is key, which means eating what you love — without excess or guilt. Here are some tips to practise moderation.
- Follow the 80/20 rule: Eat healthy 80% of the time and indulge 20% of the time.
- Use the plate method: Fill half your plate with fruits and vegetables, a quarter with lean protein, and a quarter with whole grains or starches.
- Use the hand method: Use your hand to estimate your portions. For example, a fist is about a cup of grains or fruits, a palm is about a serving of meat or fish, a thumb is about a tablespoon of oil or nuts, and a fingertip is about a teaspoon of sugar or salt.
Make 2024 Your Healthiest Year Yet with Diets2Go
If you’re ready to make healthy eating resolutions and stick to them, Diets2Go can help. Our delicious and nutritious meal plans are designed to help you create sustainable eating habits and make health-conscious choices.
From Chicken Parmigiana to Sweet Potato Falafel and Moroccan Cous Cous, we offer a diverse menu to suit every palate. Plus, everything on our menu is halal.
Our meal prep services deliver healthy, nutritious food to your doorstep — whether your goal is to lose weight, gain muscle, or feel better.
Don’t wait any longer. Contact us today for more information on our services and to order your first meal.