3 Healthy Soup Recipes for Winter Wellness
Explore Quick and Easy Healthy Soup Recipes That Bolster Health and See How Diets2Go’s Halal Meal Prep Services Can Sort Your Winter Soup Cravings Even Quicker.
As the winter chill sets in across the UK, we all crave something warm and comforting to beat the cold. Busy professionals and health-conscious individuals often strive to balance convenience with nutrition.
That's where soups come in. Not just any soups, but ones that are hearty, healthy, and quick to whip up.
So, whether you're coming home after a long day at work or looking for a lazy weekend meal, these soup recipes are your go-to for winter wellness. They’re packed with flavour, brimming with nutrients, and yes, they're super easy to make.
Let’s look at some classic and innovative soup recipes that will warm you up from the inside out.
Classic Chicken Soup: A Winter Staple
The classic chicken soup has long been a winter staple, revered for its comforting warmth and nourishing properties. Here’s a simple yet delightful recipe that uses chicken and a medley of fresh vegetables to create a wholesome meal:
- 1 chicken breast, diced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 litre of chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish
- In a large pot, sauté the onion and garlic until translucent.
- Add the diced chicken and cook until it’s no longer pink.
- Pour in the chicken broth and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Add the carrots, celery, and thyme. Season with salt and pepper.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Garnish with fresh parsley before serving.
The lean protein from the chicken, combined with the nutrients from the fresh vegetables, makes it an ideal choice for a comforting and healthy winter meal.
Chicken Corn Soup: A Fusion of Flavours
Chicken corn soup is a delightful fusion of flavours, blending the heartiness of chicken with the sweetness of corn, creating a comforting and nutritious dish. Here’s a simple recipe that brings these flavours together:
- 1 chicken breast, shredded
- 1 can of sweet corn
- 1 litre of chicken broth
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon of cornflour dissolved in water
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- Spring onions, chopped, for garnish
- In a large pot, bring the chicken broth to a boil.
- Add the shredded chicken and sweet corn to the broth. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Slowly pour in the beaten egg while stirring the soup to create egg ribbons.
- Add in the cornflour mixture to thicken it.
- Season with salt and white pepper.
- Serve hot, garnished with spring onions.
The chicken provides lean protein, essential for muscle repair and growth, while the corn adds fibre and vitamins. The egg contributes protein and enriches the texture, making it a well-rounded, nourishing meal perfect for cold winter days. Plus, if you add in a bit of ginger, it will give your immune system a boost and give the soup a bit of zing as well.
Carrot and Parsnip Soup: A Veggie Delight
Carrot and parsnip soup is a delightful winter warmer, combining sweet, earthy flavours of root vegetables into a smooth, comforting bowl. Here's how to make this veggie delight:
- 3 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 litre of vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon of ground ginger
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil
- Fresh cream or coconut milk for garnish (optional)
- In a large pot, heat a splash of olive oil. Sauté the onion and garlic until soft.
- Add the carrots and parsnips, cooking for a few minutes.
- Pour in the vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Add ground ginger, salt, and pepper.
- Reduce heat and simmer until the vegetables are tender, for about 20 minutes.
- Blend the soup until smooth using a hand blender.
- Serve hot, with a swirl of fresh cream or coconut milk if desired.
Carrots are known for their beta-carotene content, which is good for your eyesight, and parsnips offer high-fibre content, aiding digestion and heart health. This soup is a feast for your taste buds, and it boosts your immune system, making it a perfect choice for chilly winter days.
Customize Them to Satisfy Your Taste Buds
The best thing about soups is that you can easily and quickly adapt them to suit your taste.
For a spicy kick, consider adding chilli flakes or cayenne pepper.
A swirl of coconut milk or a dollop of Greek yoghurt can transform the texture if you like creaminess.
For added heartiness, incorporate grains like quinoa or barley, or for a protein boost, consider adding beans, lentils, or even chunks of halal-certified meats.
Plus, herbs and spices like basil, thyme, or cumin can significantly alter the flavour, allowing you to tailor each recipe to your liking.
With these simple tweaks, each soup can uniquely reflect your personal taste.
Need a Break From Cooking? Check Out The Diets2Go Menu
We get it – sometimes, we don't have the time or energy to chop, simmer, and blend. That’s where the Diets2Go's meal prep service steps in. Our delectable and nutritious menu has something to suit all taste buds, and we only use halal-certified meats and ingredients to make it suitable for everyone.
Our halal meal prep services ensure every meal hits the spot and is perfect for when you want hassle-free, super healthy food. We've got you covered.
Contact us now for more information on how we do it and to place your first order.